Re: SQL*Loader: How do I load more than 300 characters long fields

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:38:24 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:22:46 -0700, chi-on wong <john.wong_at_sun.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In a .csv file I have something like this:
>
>....[SNIP]....
>Although the comments field is varchar2(500), SQL*Loader will reject
>anything
>longer than 255 characters with this error:
>

>Record 1: Rejected - Error on table TEST, column COMMENTS.
>Field in data file exceeds maximum length
>
> What can I do to load the 300 characters field into
>the comments field?

The default maximum length of delimited fields is 256 bytes. If you have longer field in your infile you must specify its maximum length explicitly as CHAR(max_length). In your case, something like:

FIELDS TERMINATED BY ","
TRAILING NULLCOLS

( 	name,
	comments CHAR(5000),           -- MAX LENGTH SET TO 500
        age

)

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 15:38:24 CDT