Re: Cannot log in as SYSDBA or SYSOPER - why?

From: John Haskins <76054.334SPAMBEGONE_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 19:05:00 GMT

Thanks for the reply, Pete. When I perform the "grant sysdba to <user>" command as SYS, I get this:
 ERROR at line 1:
 ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

That was on the NT server. Then I tried it on the Unix box, via svrmgrl connected as internal. That produced this message:  ORA-01994: GRANT failed: cannot add users to public password file

Even for Oracle, the masters of obtuse documentation, I'm surprised that getting the basic ability to bounce a database via OEM is proving so hard to achieve.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide in working past the above problems.

Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:37CD4C6B.16FD6339_at_us.oracle.com...
> What error are you getting? Have you done a "grant sysdba to <user>" as
SYS?
> Have a look at v$pwfile_users to see if it's succeeded. If not, send us
any
> error message you might be getting on the grant.
>
> Pete
>
> John Haskins wrote:
>
> > John,
> > Thanks for the reply. The steps you detail here are all in the docs,
and I
> > took all of them before posting my question to the group. The problem
I'm