Re: Problem with DATE fields in Oracle 8.05

From: Prakash V <venkatprakash_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:39:01 GMT

The problem is in your NLS parameter file. Please check the file and see whether the NLS_DATE_FORMAT is DD-MON--YY (default) format. I am also working in 8.0.5 and it is working thre. PLease see my following experiments:

SQL> create table temp (x date);

Table created.

SQL> insert into temp (x) values ('31-DEC-99');

1 row created.

SQL> insert into temp values ('30-DEC-99');

1 row created.

Then here is your error:

SQL> insert into temp (x) values ('DEC-31-99'); insert into temp (x) values ('DEC-31-99')

                             *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected

This is because my format DD-MON-YY, so first 2 charactes should be a numeric(thats is dates). In your case I think the format is DD-MM-YY, thats why it is expecting a numeric value in place of Month.

Otherwise before changing the parameter file, u can do alter session NLS_DATE_FORMAT 'DD-MON-YY' also and see.

Please let me know your outcome.

Thanks

V Prakash

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/  Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 12:39:01 CDT