Re: Sizing Rollback Segment

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:54:49 -0400

Treklor wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Could anyone tell me if there is any danger in setting the initial
> extent to
> 70MB when creating a rollback for large transactions.

The only "danger" I can think of is if the tablespace it's in doesn't have a free extent of at least 70MB when the segment is created. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with a big initial extent -- if you really think big transactions will end up using it. Our databases usually have an RBSBIG tablespace that is between 250 & 600 MB with an RBIG rb segment in it that typically has initial=next=50MB. I would suggest that youb make initial the same as next & pick a round number for both that will result in the segment taking up all of the tablespace it's in without any waste (assuming you have only one big rb segment in it.)
--

Vincent Ventrone    |  The MITRE Corp.
DBA, Dept. R101     |  M/S C020