Insert more than 64k in LONG-Field fails

From: Grischa Schmiedl <schmiedl_at_unisys.co.at>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:49:30 +0200

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to insert a record with a LONG field and more than 64k data.

Server: Oracle 8.0.5 Server on Winnt 4.0 SP5

Client: WINNT 4.0 Server or WS / Visual Basic 5.0 SP3 - ADO 2.1 - OLE/DB (Microsoft OLE/DB Provider for Oracle - and I cannot change that) - Net8 Connection over TCP/IP

I'm inserting by:
opening an empty ADO-recordset
adding a record to the recordset
setting the properties of the recordset (i.e. the long field) (at this point I can still use the VB-debugger and see that the data is completely in the recordset)
closing the recordset (that executes the batchupdate)

Everything works fine when the long field is smaller than 64k. If it is larger than the data is truncated in the following way:

a = lenght of data I wanted to insert
b = lenght of data I find in the DB after the insert where b can be calculated as:
b = a modulo 64k (so, the data is not simply truncated at the 64k barriere - thgis seems to be some kind of overflow) Actually I never tried to insert more than about 100000 Chars - so perhaps the formula might be simply: b = a - 64k

NO ERROR APPEARS AT ANY TIME! When I try to load the data it's not there anymore!
Any idea what could cause this problem?

cheers Grischa Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 06:49:30 CDT