Re: 4Gb datafiles & Oracle 8.0.5 on NT4 (sp5 )

From: <dougcoan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:31:49 GMT

In article <7qj5tq$d6q_at_romeo.logica.co.uk>,   "Jeroen v.d. Goorbergh" <goorberghj_at_logica.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I experienced some problems with automatic and manual resizing of
> datafiles containing the most important index of my entire database.
During
> resizing a file to appox. 4Gb it collapsed from its original size
(3.5 Gb)
> to appox. 350Mb!!! Bye, bye index!!! My Alert File didn't offer me any
> helpful clues to what the cause of the problem might have been. It
did
> contain a O/S error (:OS 38 Reached end of file) indicating that the
problem
> is probably an NT feature of some kind. I checked the Event Log but
saw
> nothing unusual. I called Oracle Support but they couldn't help me
either,
> which I found a bit strange. I don't believe were the only one working
and
> experiencing problems with large datafiles.
> Am I to understand that NT can't handle files larger than 4Gb? If
so,
> what is the maximum filesize I should be aiming for?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeroen van der Goorbergh
>
> PS
> For now I recreated (not rebuild!) the index on twelve datafiles (&
> tablespaces) in stead of two datafiles to avoid future problems,
assuming
> the problem is caused by the large size of the files.

There is a bug in 8.0.5.0 that is fixed in... i think 8.0.5.15. If a datafile auto extends beyond the 4 GB boundary it loses its mind and loops back around starting a zero. Use multiple datafiles that are less than 4GB to make a large tablespace. Set size for the datafile at 4096000k and turn autoextend off. We found this the hard way also :-)

Hope this helps......

Doug Coan
Senior Client Server Integrator
AEGON USA
dcoan_at_aegonusa.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 13:31:49 CDT