Re: Oracle 7.3.4 performance on 2-450Mhz vs 4-200Mhz

From: Stilian Elenkov <elenkovs_at_vtls.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:36:44 -0400

http://www.tpc.org/new_result/c-result1.idc?id=97122901

http://www.tpc.org/new_result/c-result1.idc?id=98051102

http://www.tpc.org/new_result/c-result1.idc?id=98110303

You can see that the 4 PPro 200/1M are a better choice, especially for a DB server with many sessions.
The 4 PPro 200 /512k are still a little better than the 2 PII 450 and the thread variation differences are even bigger.

In most real world multi-session/(threads) environments the 4 PPros are a better choice. With fewer sessions the PIIs become more attractive. One does not have run NT on these machines - they are all Solaris 2.6, 7 certified.
The tpc data was gathered using NT though. With Oracle on Solaris the performance should go up about 10-15% as compared to NT.

Stilian