Re: Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

From: <davidrice_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:00:07 GMT

> Since we have a web-based OLTP environment, well, actually mixed,
> since we have major updates running at nights against most of the
> data, I thought that RAID-5 is not great, since during the day there
> are a lot of small reads/writes.
> I was thinking about 0+1 on datafiles with actualy data, but I am not
> sure whether I need to mirror the TEMP tablespace or whether I should
> place the REDO logs on the mirror.

Check out this site. It talks about some NT specific things, but the ideas about RAID are generic enough for translation to whatever platform desired.

http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont_performance.htm

-David Rice

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 10:00:07 CDT