Re: I'm missing something obvious

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:28:40 GMT

In article <7qhln1$d5v$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bchorng_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> This is what you need to execute:
>
> grant execute on dbms_shared_pool to execute_catalog_role
>
> This is part of the package creation script dbmspool.sql
> if you executed dbmspool.sql successfully as internal there should
not
> be any execution problem as you encountered. I never need to run
> the above sql separately in any of my databases.
>
> -Bass Chorng

Note the original post stated that a 'set role none' is issued which would lose access gained via role execute_catalog_role, and this role is new with version 8 so it does not apply under version 7.

The problem is not execute premission on the package, dbms_shared_pool, but on the object that you are trying to pin. With ver 7.0 and 7.1 sys can not successfully execute dbms_shared_pool on an object it does not have a direct execute grant on. Since the grants exist on our system I have not retested this on 7.2 or above, but it is logical that you can only pin what you have execute priviledge on unless you are the owner.

Granting execute on dbms_shared_pool to public allows anyone to pin their owned packages, but does not give them premission to pin someone else's packages.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 08:28:40 CDT