4Gb datafiles & Oracle 8.0.5 on NT4 (sp5 )

From: Jeroen v.d. Goorbergh <goorberghj_at_logica.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:24:18 +0200

Hello everybody,

   I experienced some problems with automatic and manual resizing of datafiles containing the most important index of my entire database. During resizing a file to appox. 4Gb it collapsed from its original size (3.5 Gb) to appox. 350Mb!!! Bye, bye index!!! My Alert File didn't offer me any helpful clues to what the cause of the problem might have been. It did contain a O/S error (:OS 38 Reached end of file) indicating that the problem is probably an NT feature of some kind. I checked the Event Log but saw nothing unusual. I called Oracle Support but they couldn't help me either, which I found a bit strange. I don't believe were the only one working and experiencing problems with large datafiles.

   Am I to understand that NT can't handle files larger than 4Gb? If so, what is the maximum filesize I should be aiming for?

Cheers,

Jeroen van der Goorbergh

PS
For now I recreated (not rebuild!) the index on twelve datafiles (& tablespaces) in stead of two datafiles to avoid future problems, assuming the problem is caused by the large size of the files. Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 07:24:18 CDT