selecting distinct

From: Mark Foley <foleym_at_meftechno.com>
Date: 30 Aug 1999 22:05:11 PDT

I have a table with the following columns

customerno        name
1234              John
1234              Bill
1235              Jan
1236              Mark

.
.
.

What I want for a result set is:

1234              John
1235              Jan
1236              Mark
    .

    .
    .

If I use "select distinct customerno,name from table" I still get all of the rows.

"select distinct customerno from table" gets the unique customer = numbers,
but not the names. This table has thousands of names and account = numbers. I just want name
distinct accountnos and the associated name.

I have to believe there is a sql statement that will accomplish this... Can anyone help? Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 00:05:11 CDT