Re: Percentage of memory to leave for Solaris

From: <tao_foos_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:34:25 GMT

I do not think you can use vmstat to report oracle memory consumption in Solaris in that manner. In brief Oracle takes up memory based on the size of the SGA and user processes (dedicated not MTS). A User process consumes memory as specified by the sort_area_size.

In article <7qhf2t$7vi$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   rickp7011_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I have a similar problem/question. I have a sun
> 4500 with 4gig of memory and oracle is running
> about 50 differenc oracleXXXX processes each of
> which take up 78meg of memory. The box is
> reporting a high number from vmstat in the de
> column and there is constant po/pi activity.
> This database is not running in multi-thread mode
> (I think that the oracle termiology) so there
> seems to be one of these 78meg processes for each
> connection. How can you tell oracle to leave 30%
> memory for the OS? How can you make these
> processes smaller? Most are sleeping with zero
> accumulated cpu.
>
> In article <37CBB5B0.4012_at_yahoo.com>,
> connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > tao_foos_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > >
> > > What percentage (or total amount) of memory
> should one leave available
> > > to the OS for Solaris SunOS v5.6 (after
> allocating the SGA for Oracle).
> > > For example on a Box w/ 3GB of RAM would the
> SGA get swapped or paged
> > > out if the SGA plus user memory took up about
> 2.5 GB if only Oracle is
> > > running on the Box. Just looking for a
> general Guidline.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ted Andrews
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
> >
> > Depends on your user base...Each user
> connection will take up memory if
> > you're using dedicated servers...
> >
> > In the absence of any other info, I think
> leaving a gig of memory for
> > the O.S would be more than adequate
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > "These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
> > connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, and some days
> you're the statue."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 17:34:25 CDT