[Q] tuning with memory?

From: Paul G Young <pgy_at_magma.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:26:15 GMT

I have a mid-sized database (20Gb). I know the applications and user access
patterns. Within that 20Gb, about 1Gb gets hit hard. It is predominately reporting (Data Warehouse) with a constant level of updates. It uses indexes when it should and full-tables scans appropriately. I've spent months tuning the applications. Oracle is running pretty well.

This database runs on a HP Unix box with 768Mb or memory. It wails on the disks until response times really suffer. I was thinking of increasing the main memory to 4Gb and allocating massive buffers to Oracle. Do you think this will help? Will it be a dramatic improvement? Do you have any experience with this?

Your advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Paul G Young
pgy_at_magma.ca Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 17:26:15 CDT