Re: Percentage of memory to leave for Solaris

From: <rickp7011_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:48:34 GMT

I have a similar problem/question. I have a sun 4500 with 4gig of memory and oracle is running about 50 differenc oracleXXXX processes each of which take up 78meg of memory. The box is reporting a high number from vmstat in the de column and there is constant po/pi activity. This database is not running in multi-thread mode (I think that the oracle termiology) so there seems to be one of these 78meg processes for each connection. How can you tell oracle to leave 30% memory for the OS? How can you make these processes smaller? Most are sleeping with zero accumulated cpu.

In article <37CBB5B0.4012_at_yahoo.com>,
  connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> tao_foos_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > What percentage (or total amount) of memory
should one leave available
> > to the OS for Solaris SunOS v5.6 (after
allocating the SGA for Oracle).
> > For example on a Box w/ 3GB of RAM would the
SGA get swapped or paged
> > out if the SGA plus user memory took up about
2.5 GB if only Oracle is
> > running on the Box. Just looking for a
general Guidline.

> > Thanks,
> > Ted Andrews

> Depends on your user base...Each user
connection will take up memory if
> you're using dedicated servers...
>
> In the absence of any other info, I think
leaving a gig of memory for
> the O.S would be more than adequate
> --
> Connor McDonald
> "These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
> connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, and some days
you're the statue."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 15:48:34 CDT