Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:03:22 GMT

Hi folks,

We are thinking to place one of our DB's on a Sun Storedge 5200 and Sun Enterprise 4500.

Since we have a web-based OLTP environment, well, actually mixed, since we have major updates running at nights against most of the data, I thought that RAID-5 is not great, since during the day there are a lot of small reads/writes.
I was thinking about 0+1 on datafiles with actualy data, but I am not sure whether I need to mirror the TEMP tablespace or whether I should place the REDO logs on the mirror.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email