Re: performance question: sum values vs. store calculations

From: Todder <toddbrasseur_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:49:37 GMT

Sorry, not much help here.

We have the similiar question. We currently have an application (written in RPG on AS/400 and in CLIPPER (dbf) which both take the approach of not saving any data which can be calculated. This has been very successful and we are very happy with performance. Our largest table is only around 100,000 records but the calculation process is very involved.

We are now moving to a relational database. We are approx. 90% complete with the development. Although the response time isn't quite as fast as it was (with DBF's) it is still acceptable. We also believe that computers will continue to be faster and faster.

Todd @ COMPASS

In article <7qfkq5$si9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   erik_ostermueller_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> The legacy banking system that we are rewriting stores the results of
many
> calculations in tables. For instance, when a balance is calculated
for an
> account for a new transaction, the new balance is stored on the
record for
> the account. For flexibility and maintainability reasons, we would
prefer
> to store only the atomic transaction data, and derive/calculate the
balance
> (and other calculations) when requested.We know that the tradeoff for
this
> decision is a performance hit, but don't know how big it will be.Each
> calculation will involve about 50-100 records from a total of 1.5
billion
> records. This will be a 24x7 system that expects sub-second response
time.
> Does anyone out there have some experience with this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 09:49:37 CDT