Re: Automatic startup/shutdown "triggers"

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:36:44 GMT

A copy of this was sent to rrodgers_at_mindspring.com (Richard Rodgers) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:08:39 GMT, you wrote:

>On every flavor of Unix that I've seen, you can place scripts into
>directories such as rc2.d & name them starting with "S" or "K" to
>"automagically" get desired tasks done at system boot or shutdown.
>
>I'd like to be able to do the same thing with Oracle. I'd like to
>be able to get some custom PL/SQL executed both when the instance
>is started & when it gets shutdown.
>
>I'm open for ideas (as specific as possible) on how to accomplish this.

Using Oracle8i, release 8.1 you have the ability to setup AFTER STARTUP and BEFORE SHUTDOWN triggers (as well as triggers on other system events).

Prior to 8.1, you would have to piggy back on the scripts you use to startup and shutdown the database with.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 11:36:44 CDT