Re: Hot backup, total recover?mlml

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:01:39 -0400

You multiplex (ie. Oracle mirror) the redo logs so that they don't get lost. If the whole machine goes belly up, you then perform an incomplete recovery using backups and all available archive logs, then do an ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS. Regards,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original music? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult

Michel Lee wrote in message <7qccd5$cvc_at_freenet-news.carleton.ca>...

>Hi,
>
>I am starting to plan a hot backup scheme.
>
>After reading books, I will turn achivemode ON and
>I will do this eavery day:
>

>-online backup datafiles for all my tablespaces (SYSTEM,RBS,TEMP, etc etc)
>-online backup the controlfile
>-backup archived redo log
>-backup parameter files like initSID.ora etc
>(Note: that the dont say backup OnlineRedoLogs)
>
>Now what do I do if all files gets lost.
>Ie. datafiles, controlfile,OnlineRedoLogs,archived redo log
> gets lost or corrupted.
>
>If I restore all the hot backed up files,
>How do I recreate the OnlineRedoLogs ? (its not backed up)
>

>regards,
>Mike
>--
> / www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ae299 /---\ \ \ \\ \ \