Re: Rollback segment too large

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:17:21 GMT

> shrink back (i.e. it's trying to shrink to OPTIMAL too often). Also,
> leaving the rollback segment without OPTIMAL set ensures you will
> eventually hit MAXEXTENTS and users would receive an error that they
> shouldn't.

How does not having an OPTIMAL setting ensure that you will reach MAXEXTENTS? After the transactions are committed and the information removed from the rollback segment, it just won't shrink. But the segment will still have room in it for future transactions. If the rollback segment reaches MAXEXTENT, then it seems to me that the transaction(s) need bigger rollback segments just to complete.

Any comments?

Brian Received on Fri Aug 27 1999 - 11:17:21 CDT