Re: Speeding up imports

From: Mark Lind <marklind_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:39:21 GMT

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:04:20 GMT, andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Is there are anyway to speed up import?
>That thing is taking forever!
>Should I set commit=n (I set buffer to 300m, and my TEMP is 500M),
>should I do analyze=n?

I tested this a few ways, and it was always faster if the export was constraints N indexes N. Then, on the import, we made sure to do commit Y (not the default, which was commit N). Expanding the rollback segments, etc for the transaction of inserting the rows took a long time. Afterwards, we create the indexes and constraints in a big script.

Another thing that sped up index creation was to create a single really big rollback segment (do this when no one else is connected) with a big initial.

-+-+-+-+-
Mark W. Lind
marklind_at_pacbell.net Received on Thu Aug 26 1999 - 16:39:21 CDT