Re: Recover a single table

From: Bill Achord <wachord_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:36:56 -0700

As you stated, a datafile does not necessarily hold only one table. Therefore if you recover the datafile, you'll overwrite all objects that are stored in that datafile. You also can't just lay an older datafile over a newer one because the controlfile will get cranky about timestamps being out of sync. You'd have to use the 'recover datafile' command to get it up to sync in your controlfiles.

You can determine what is in the datafile by getting file_id from dba_data_files and then matching that to file_id in dba_extents. Select the objects from dba_extents with that file_id.

Anyway, the quick possibilities are:
a) Recover the whole db and roll forward w/ redo logs up until the problem point. Therefore losing any new stuff in other objects. OR
b) Restore the db into another database and export the table there. Then import it.

That would be the safest alternatives. Otherwise you're getting risky.