Re: Japanese characters

From: Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:29:49 -0400

Hi

kev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anything I need to know before I start trying to store stuff in
> O8 which I've spidered from Japanase
> sites?

Only that you'll have to deal with multibyte charsets, but it looks like you are prepared.

> I know nothing about character sets, but I guess I need a character set
> which can handle english, and
> Japanes. Is there one?

There should be. See docs. I remember it mentioned something like "Japanese ExtendedEncoding", maybe the charset starts with "JA".

> I believe that I can't change Oracle's character set after the database
> has been created. Is this true?

It was claimed to be true in Oracle7, but it was not. The character set could bechanged via sys.props$ table. I am not aware if it still works with O8. Maybe
somebody knows better?

> thanks,
>
> - Kev

  Karen Abgarian. Received on Thu Aug 26 1999 - 13:29:49 CDT