"snapshot too old" or "cannot extend rollback segment" errors running PL/SQL script

From: Jamie Schrumpf <hatterasNOSPAM_at_hotbot.com>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 21:13:39 GMT

I'm trying to build a fact table that's got about 85k records. I have 8 rollback segments at 125k initial, 125k next, minextents 18 maxextents 249, no optimal, in a 33meg tablespace. The script runs in a loop that reads a cursor from a data table, loads variables with keys from dimension tables, then writes out the fact table record. There are 8 numbers, one date, and a char(1) column in the fact table. I do a commit after each loop of the script.

I get one of these two errors every time I run this script. I thought that doing the commit after each loop would eliminate this problem by releasing the rollback extents into the pool so that no other queries could overwrite my inactive extents.

The truly scary part is that it usually works for a test table I'm using, but not for the production table. All I do is change the name in the script.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm missing here? --

Jamie Schrumpf                             http://home.earthlink.net/~moncominc