Re: Oracle Diagnostic and Tuning Packs -- Worth it? Why?

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_newsalert.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:34:41 -0400

Don't leave home without them. TopSessions in Diagnostic pack, SQL Analyze in Tuning pack are a must have for seeing the SQL clogging up your database, and the execution plans relating to them. Tablespace Manager (Tuning pack) lets you see the extents taken up by each segment (not what's in those extents, just their mapping...)

Also, the whole database monitoring and automatic fixing thing is great if you can get it to work, but that's mostly available in Diagnostics pack.

The only gripe is that these were initially in OEM. They were made into packs, apparently, just to sell more licenses. Very miserable.

If you use Platinum or Quest, those tools are probably good too - I don't know. But I use the OEM tools extensively, and their worthwhile.

FWIW, Yosi