Re: Problem after restore and recovery...HELP!

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:23:13 GMT

The first thing I suggest is that you check the original database sys.dba_extents to see if anything had been allocated to the datafile during the hot backup. If there was, you need to re-port because your migration copy is bad/incomplete.

What happens if you do an 'alter database datafile 'db2' drop;', that is, what is the error message?

Have you considered copying the db2 datafile from the original database? You then might be able to do media recovery.

In article <7q1beu$60n$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   chiuljnk_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I backed up DB1 in online mode.
> During the online backup, another DBA added a datafile. This datafile
> was not backed up.
> At the end of the online backup, I backed up the archive logs
generated
> during the online backup. Also, I backed up controlfile to trace
>
> I then restored the online backup of DB1 to another server, renaming
it
> DB2. Edited trace to reflect new name.
> Because new datafile was not part of the backup set, creating the new
> controlfiles using trace sql script failed.
> Edited trace again to remove line referencing new datafile.
> Created new controlfiles using trace successfully.
>
> Rolled forward a bunch of archivelogs.
> Error encountered.
> File #198 added to control file as 'UNNAMED0198'. Originally created
as:
> '/oracle/DB1/data1/data37'
> Media Recovery failed with error 1244
>
> Entered command: alter database create datafile 'UNNAMED0198'. This
> created a 10M file in /oracle/DB1/dbs directory called UNNAMED0198.
>
> Continue rolling forward until all archivelogs (generated during
backup)
> are applied. No more errors.
>
> Entered command: alter database archivelog and alter database open
> resetlogs. Success.
>
> PROBLEM:
> For some reason, added datafile added is somehow corrupted.
> It has status OFFLINE. But I can't bring it online because I get
the
> error:
> alter database datafile '/oracle/DB2/data1/data37' online
> *
> ORA-01190: control file or data file 198 is from before the last
> RESETLOGS
> ORA-01110: data file 198: '/oracle/DB2/data1/data37'
>
> I can't drop the datafile.
> Database is functioning without error, but I can't bring tablespace
DATA
> into backup mode for online backups.
> I am guessing that after creating the datafile, it was offline the
> entire time, even through the roll-forward. That means that there is
no
> data in the datafile. How can I get rid of this datafile without
> dropping the entire tablespace?
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance.
>
> Regards,
> Larry Chiu
> chiuljnk_at_my-deja.com

Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.
502-451-7404
some witty phrase goes here, I think.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 25 1999 - 14:23:13 CDT