Re: Index Help !

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:08:42 -0400

Hi Jorge,

    From what I understand (and someone will be sure to correct me if I understand incorrectly) although it is possible to create a table with the data stored in a particular order it is not possible to guarantee that the original order will be maintained as rows in the table are updated, deleted, and added.

    Oracle is a different breed of cat than Informix and Oracles product designers believe, rightfully or wrongfully, that maintaining the data in a table in a specific order degrades overall performance of the database. Given the amount of physical reorganization of a table that would be required to maintain the order I, for one, agree with them.

    So to summarize; the order of the contents of a static table will be based on the sequence in which data is inserted into the table. The order of the contents of a dynamic table (one in which adds, deletes, and updates are permitted) is indeterminate since any rows added after the initial load will be placed where Oracle deems convenient and since changes to key values do not cause a row to be physically moved.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

Jorge Torralba wrote in message <37C41044.ABF5A2DE_at_Intel.Com>...
>I have transitioned from Informix to Oracle and am having some
>difficulties in performing some fundamental db tasks in my new
>environment. I need to create a clustered index on a table.
Maybe its
>just lack of knowledge on my part. But, when I mention this to
anyone
>they seems to confuse a clustered index with an Index on a
cluster. Is
>it possible to create a clustered index ( an index which
reorder the