Re: [?] Hardware requirements

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:12:06 -0400

Hi Luigi,

    You are absolutely right. Creating the ideal configuration does require knowledge of data volumes, number of clients, etc.

    However, since fools jump in where angels fear to tread: Assuming that the configuration you are planning isn't gross overkill for the amount of database activity do the following:

  1. Install as much RAM in the server as you can get.
  2. The minimum disk capacity should be four times the amount of space you estimate the raw data will require. (This is conservative, but you really don't want to have insufficient disk space).
  3. You are better off with many small disk drives than a few large ones.
  4. Budget permitting go with RAID 1+0, budget not permitting go with (ugh) RAID5 (ugh), but keep the redo logs and archive logs off of the RAID5 drives and mirror the redo logs. Whatever you do, do not use software RAID5 -- unless you have extremely patient users and performance is not a consideration.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

<01beeec6$e4a66d00$4700a8c0_at_luigi>...