Re: constraints to views - REPOST

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:41:51 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Nandakumar <nanban_at_my-deja.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:17:28 GMT, you wrote:

>Are there any suggestions to this?

i've seen more then one followup on this.

most creative goes to Connor McDonald who said:

The closest I can think is to have the view only contain the NOT NULL rows (ie include this in the view defintion) and then add the CHECK option.

In short, your options are:

>Thanks
>Nanda
>
>In article <7pukc5$7gu$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Nandakumar <N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If a view is created over a table that has no constraints, is it
>> possible to attach some constraints to the view.
>>
>> Say 'tableA' has four fields F1,F2,F3,F4.
>> A view 'viewA' is created with F1 and F2.
>> I want to create a constraint NOT NULL to F1 and F2 to 'viewA'.
>> ie tableA can accept NULL values to F1 and F2 thru' OTHER views.
>> But inserting NULLs to F1 and F2 through 'viewA' is not allowed.
>>
>> Could anyone give the ways to do it without using triggers?
>>
>> --
>> Nandakumar
>> (N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com)
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Aug 25 1999 - 10:41:51 CDT