Re: Oracle vs. Informix

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:07:41 GMT

We are running a web application with around 70 simultaneous SQL running most of the time. The DB size including indexes is around 4Gig most of the tables aren't too big, but there are a couple of 300K+ records and or 2 with few mil, and 1 with 25 million records. It's running on an E450 (1Gig Ram, 4 HDs) and doing fine (although I want to add more HDs) We have no BLOBs, and there are batch jobs running against the DB at nights, although it's a 24/7 DB.

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:43:23 GMT, "Keith Sharp" <ksharp_at_bear.com> wrote:

>I am in the process of analyzing databases for a new document imaging
>system. We currently use Informix but management is wanting to explore
>solutions by Oracle.
>We will have approx. 450 users, possible 125 concurrent users and probably
>40-50 simultaneous DB calls.
>The database currently has 5.7 million rows with BLOB data averaging 40K
>each, and an optical storage manager.
>It will be a 3-tier client server environment with a 3rd party app handling
>all optical/magnetic migration.
>We operate on Sun OS.
>
>Can anyone with both Oracle and INformix exposure give me some feedback and
>opinions. I am looking at both the workgroup and enterprise solutions for
>both, but it appears enterprise will better suit us.

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email