Re: HELP sorting a table before hierarchical query

From: Marc <E.Mail_at_address.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:22:39 +0200

If you use an ORDER BY, you will of course loose the hierarchy. It might work by forcing Oracle to use an index.

Try:

create index concept_sort on tables.concept_hierarchy(parent_concept, current_concept) -- order of columns depends on what you want /
select /*+ INDEX(tables.concept_hierarchy concept_sort) */

   lpad('&nbsp',5*(level-1))||current_concept,parent_concept from tables.concept_hierarchy
start with parent_concept='Concepts'
connect by prior current_concept=parent_concept;

Marc