unix dump ok for backing up oracle server?

From: Richard Chen <richard_at_lexitech.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:50:30 -0400

Hello,

    I would like to know if it is safe to do unix dump command for backing up file systems to backup a live oracle server. It is safe if oracle server is shutdown. But if oracle server is running in archivelog mode, is unix dump a safe method to backup the oracle server? It will be very convenient if it is safe since one does not need to worry about writing specific backup scripts for the database backup. It doesn't sound like it but I want to be sure.

Thanks for any info.

Richard Received on Tue Aug 24 1999 - 20:50:30 CDT