Tuning: What causes "Thread 1 cannot allocate new log" ?

From: John Haskins <76054.334SPAMBEGONE_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:59:07 GMT

Greetings, helpful folks:

I've been tuning an Oracle 7.3.4 instance running on Solaris 2.6 and have run into an error in the instance's alert log that I cannot eliminate. The message is:

Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 4331

Since theer is no number at the beginning of this message, I haven't had a lot of luck finding it in the Oracle online documentation. I did use the Java-based search function, but it continually crashed. A search of .htm files in the Docs directory using the criteria "cannot allocate new log" produced no hits.

I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. Whatever is causing this problem is also cutting throughput to about 1/10th of normal on the INSERT batch where it occurs. Received on Tue Aug 24 1999 - 13:59:07 CDT