Re: RAW Disks!! on DEC Alpha

From: Robert Young <rcyoung_at_groupz.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:27:35 -0400

RAW disks do give some I/O performance boost since they bypass the unix filesystem, but you are extremely limited on how you can backup, restore, or re-arrange your database files afterwards. The normal system routines for handling files (tar, cpio, cp, mv) are not available for raw devices. I have always found the disadvantages to outweigh the advantages. This is esp true in the event you have to restore one or more files from a backup during recovery operations.

You can usually get far more of a performance boost by properly tuning your database to account for the number of I/O channels, available memory, I/O load distribution, proper index creation, etc etc.

--
Robert Young
ALI Database Consultants (Oracle and Rdb) 1-877-289-8100 or visit