kernel parameters semmns, semmni and semmsl

From: Yuri McPhedran <esiyuri_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:07:50 GMT

Hi there,

I'm having problems installing Oracle 8.0.5 on Solaris 2.6 and am fairly sure it is due to the values of semmns, semmni and semmsl specified in the /etc/system file.

On a new machine I set these values as follows:

set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70
(no value specified for semmsl)

This is as per the install guide & works fine. I also have to install Oracle on another machine which already has another application running on it. The kernel parameters have already been set up for this application so I don't really want to change them. They are:

set semsys:seminfo_semmap=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=1000
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=4000
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=800
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=512
set semsys:seminfo_semume=100

As the values for semmns and semmni are much greater than I needed, I thought I would be OK, but when I try to start the database I get:

ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set. SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device Additional information: 1

Any ideas? What strikes me as potentially odd is that the number of semaphores (semmns=4000) is not equal to the number of semaphore sets
(semmni=1000) times the number of semaphores per set (semmsl=512). Is
this the problem? Maybe I should add some more semaphores?

Also, and I don't know if this is related, but there is no setting for shmmin on the machine with the problems. On the one that works it is set to "1". Unfortunately I can't just resort to trial & error because every time I need to try changing these values I have to restart the machine. Since it is running another application this is a bit inconvenient.

All ideas would be most welcome.

--
Regards
Yuri McPhedran

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 24 1999 - 07:07:50 CDT