Re: Application server, Perl, DBI, DBD

From: Brian Jackson <bjjackso_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:13:26 -0700

Harry Andree wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> We are trying to use the Oracle Application server with Perl. I'm able
> run Perl programs. When I try to connect to the Oracle 8.15 i database
> I'm not able to connect. We are using the standard 0.44 DBI and
> the 0.79 DBD::Oracle packages and Perl 5.003.
> I'm able to get a different Perl installation (With later versions) to
> work.
> So my program is working.

Don't know about the 8i issue, might want to post that on the perl DBI group.

> My questions:
> Do the DBI, DBD libraries work with 8i?
> How should they be installed, e.g. in what directories?
> If we have to recomnpile a later version of Perl then
> how do I comnpile it to work with the App server?

My understanding of the perl cartridge is that the DBI/DBD and even Perl itself are implemented as shared objects. This means that you can't just build a new version of the module or perl and have it run with the Perl Cartridge of OAS. It will still work for standard CGI's and whathaveyou, but not with the perl cartridge of OAS.

BTW, OAS 408 has perl 5.004_1 (yea, I know it's still old, but it's better than 5.003!), DBD 0.47, DBI 0.91. A little better but a tad off from the latest versions: DBD 1.03(for oracle) and DBI 1.13 (well, the ones on my machine).

### the opinions expressed here are mine and do not reflect those of Oracle Corp or any of its subsidiaries. ###

--

Brian Jackson                        bjjackso_at_us.oracle.com
System Administrator, Oracle Corp. text pages: 9878850_at_pagemci.com

"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. If you  really make them think, they'll hate you."