Re: Compact a Tablespace?

From: <hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:46:58 GMT

Adrian,

After you try these other things mentioned you may need to perform a full export (twice). After you do this then drop the tablespace and datafiles. Recreate your tablespace and import your data. This is the only true way I know of to actually get your tablespace compressed.

The coalesce statement will only coalesce neighboring free extents into one larger free extent. This will not free up disk space or coalesce free extents that at fragmented and buried.

David Knollhoff

You can rebuild your indexes and this will free up any deleted index space but your data tablespaces don't have this nifty feature.

In article <37C14A57.63E4A12D_at_ccschaper.de>,   Zierke <Zierke_at_ccschaper.de> wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> try "alter tablespace ... coalesce" from an user with admin
privileges.

> > Adrian Harrison wrote in message

<37c11549.81624820_at_news.globalnet.co.uk>...
> > >Using Oracle 7.3.4
> > >
> > >I have a tablespace (size = 30 meg), that I've just deleted
probably 90% of
> > the contents.
> > >
> > >Using the Navigator Tool that comes with Personnel Oracle
the "Used Space"
> > & "Free Space" hasn't
> > >changed at all for this tablespace.
> > >
> > >All the deletions were definetely committed so what I'm wondering
is if I'm
> > supposed to do some sort
> > >of "compact" to free this space up!
> > >
> > >Any ideas?
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Adrian Harrison

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Aug 23 1999 - 12:46:58 CDT