Re: Storing/Accessing GIF Files in Oracle

From: Vadim Grepan <kezal_at_mail.ru>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:14:38 +0400

Hello John!

John Schuerman пишет в сообщении <37BD7630.932788B8_at_NOSPAM.mgic.com> ...
>I'm using Oracle 7.3.3.4 and have been asked to research storing GIF
>files in the Oracle database.
>1. Is this do-able in Oracle7?

Yes. But You need to create additional C-code (like /opt/oracle7/rdbms/demo/cdemo3.c in my case)

>2. Is the only DATATYPE option the LONG RAW datatype?

You can use also RAW datatype for small pictures

>3. Would it be better to store a "location pointer" in the database and
>actually store the GIF file in a directory. The application that plans

IMHO this way keeps many potential problems - e.g. broken files. Also You'll have got additional problems for backup such separate files

>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

HTH Rgds, Vadim Grepan

kezal_at_mail.ru
2:5020/653_at_fidonet.org Received on Mon Aug 23 1999 - 07:14:38 CDT