Re: OEM : Failed to authenticate user

From: Abdelkafi <abdelkafi_at_skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:11:40 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> For me it is working when
> the Oracle account and NT account are identical.
> The Oracle account has SYSDBA privilege (required!)
> and for the rest all preferred credentials are the same.
> You were right in granting 'login as batch job privilege'
>
> Hth,

First, thanks for your help Sysbrand !! I have followed your advices without success unfortunately.

What do you mean by 'the Oracle account and Nt account are identical ? Does it mean that the Oracle account must be authenticated by the OS (I have tried this configuration without success, see below) ?

I remember the problem and the two different configurations I have tried to solve it (following your advices).

I have installed Oracle8i (8.1.5) on a computer (Windows NT Server 4.0 + SP3)

and Entreprise Manager (OEM) on another (Windows NT WKS 4.0 + SP3).

The problem is the following :

When I launched a job from OEM, the system display an error message :

Failed to authenticate user

1)First Configuration

NT Server Configuration

Domain name : RAS
Machine name : NT_RAS
Oracle Intelligent Agent (OIA) version : 8.1.5

I have created a Windows NT global user called HEDI (pwd : hedi). The OIA service is launched under this account (Control Panel -> Services -> Startup -> Logon as -> This Account). This account has the advanced user right, "logon as batch job" and is member of the global Administrator group and ORA_DBA (to receive the sysdba privilege)
local group.

Oracle8i Database

Oracle8i is installed on the NT_RAS machine.

I have created one Oracle user called Hedi (pwd : hedi) with the Connect and DBA role granted.
This account is authenticated by NT not by Oracle.

NT Workstation Configuration

I'm connected to the NT domain (RAS) with my user account called Hedi.

I launched OEM without username and password (I must do that if I want that the user will be authenticated by the OS). REM : Connect as = NORMAL.

The following error message appears on the screen :

ORA-01017 : invalid username/password ; logon denied

REM : I'm able to connect with the following syntax when I use SVRMGR30 (connect /@srv_name)

      Thus, the authentication by the OS work fine !!

Question : Does it mean that OEM can't be used with user authenticated by the

OS ?

2)Second Configuration

NT Server Configuration

Domain name : RAS
Machine name : NT_RAS
Oracle Intelligent Agent (OIA) version : 8.1.5

I have created a Windows NT global user called HEDI (pwd : hedi). The OIA service is launched under this account (Control Panel -> Services -> Startup -> Logon as -> This Account). This account has the advanced user right, "logon as batch job" and is member of the global Administrator group.

Oracle8i Database

Oracle8i is installed on the NT_RAS machine.

I have created one Oracle user called Hedi (pwd : hedi) with the Connect and DBA role granted.
This account is authenticated by Oracle NOT BY NT. (different from the first config !)

NT Workstation Configuration

I'm connected to the NT domain (RAS) with my user account called Hedi.

I launched OEM with the username Hedi (pwd : hedi).

Under the Preferred Credentials (File, Preferences), there are three services

with the account that execute these services. REM : I've left the default configuration.

Service name                  Service Type        Username
listener machine_name    Listener
service_name                 Database               Hedi (passwd : hedi, role

                                                                   : normal)
node_name                    Node

When I lauched a job, it failed automatically.

Do you have another suggestion ?

Thanks for your help and your advices. Received on Mon Aug 23 1999 - 04:11:40 CDT