Re: Choosing a right database

From: Magnus Weiman <magnus.weiman_at_datalogi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:07:58 +0200

For this kind of workload, the best option would be Oracle Rdb. No other RDBMS can offer the same performance and the same availability since almost every kind of database maintenance can be performed online.

--
Name: Magnus Weiman Company: Datalogikonsult AB http://www.datalogi.com mailto:magnus.weiman@datalogi.com S-mail: Box 52, S-590 79 VRETA KLOSTER, Sweden Phone: +46 13 68040 Fax: +46 13 68041 GSM: +46 70 7440806

Alla Gribov <alla.gribov_at_metatel.com> wrote in message news:37C004E0.24C40572_at_metatel.com...
> Hello all;
>
> First of all I am apologizing to all of you if you see this questions
> posted twice - I am having troubles with sending it.
>
> I need an advice from gurus of database design and development
>
> I am building a database that will have around 1 million users. At any
> given moment about 5,000 of them are connected to the database.
> The chosen database should be able to perform around 500 reads/writes
> per second.
>
> Is there a database that can support such a task and if yes, which one
> is the best in your opinion?
>
> My first thought was Oracle, but after doing some research on Web, it
> seems like that a lot of people prefer Informix over Oracle.
>
> Which would you choose (or may be there are some other databases that I
> am not aware of that would suit better for this project) - no Sybase or
> MS Sql-Server,
> sorry to people who like them???
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance