Re: utl_file paths

From: Nicolas Riendeau <knightr_at_total.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:11:13 -0400

Mario Bucsics wrote:

> Yes you just have to make these entries in the initORACLE_SID.ora file:
>
> utl_file_dir = *

Hi!

I have/we have the same problem and the above line (utl_file_dir=*) didn't seem to have any effect on accessing directories which aren't local.

> After you restart the instance you should be able writing to any Directory on
> the disk

On the local disk, yes...

> Sean Dillon wrote:
>
> > (NT Environment)

Oracle 7.3.4 running on Win NT 4.0 Server SP4 (not sure, would have to check) with the service that gives access to Netware servers (NW 4.11).

> > I'd like to use the utl_file package in a trigger to export inserted or
> > updated data to a text file. I'm having trouble identifying the path -
> > local paths work fine because they can be referred to simply, like '/mydir',
> > but I can't seem to figure out how to specify a share. Have tried UNCs and
> > permanent drive-letter mappings.
> >
> > Anybody successfully used utl_file to write to a dir on a machine other than
> > the Oracle server itself?

No, what I ended up doing is write the file to a local directory and then copy it to the directory in which I actually wanted to put it.

I know, it's not pretty...

Good luck! (and please keep me posted if you find a solution... ;-) )

Nicolas Riendeau
knightr_at_total.net Received on Sat Aug 21 1999 - 19:11:13 CDT