Re: Interesting Information ... BUT is it correct, or not?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:55:17 GMT

A copy of this was sent to philip_at_aleytys.pc.my (Philip Chee) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 21 Aug 99 10:19:12 GMT, you wrote:

>In article <37c8fbc4.199999554_at_newshost.us.oracle.com> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com writes:
>
>>RBO pretty much tries to generate a 'FIRST_ROWS' type of plan anyway. If you
>>are using this just for FIRST_ROWS and want to use RBO for every other query,
>>just use RBO -- don't go through the trouble of analyzing all of your data.
>
>Thomas,
>
>I am trying to pull data from an ancient 7.0 database to a 7.3.3 database
>both of them set to RBO and optimiser_undo_changes=true (Oracle Financials
>requires this) via a dblink (pl/sql cursor loop/fetch insert cycle). I
>was getting end of channel ORA errors until I put a FIRST_ROWS hint in my
>cursor. There are no statistics on either database.
>
>The question is what is FIRST ROWS doing that allows my PL/SQL procedure
>to complete without erroring out?

what errors? if they are 3113 type of errors or 600, there will be trace files in the user_dump_dest on the server (check your alert log as well)

You'll find the sqplus copy command to be inifitely faster then a plsql loop to bulk copy data between servers. see the sqlplus guide for information.

>Philip

> Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA
> e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60-5-545-1011 Fax:+60-5-547-3932
> Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
> oh Night, and so be good for us to pass.
>---
> þ 10176.06 þ Who the Dickens wrote "Oliver Twist", anyway?

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Aug 21 1999 - 08:55:17 CDT