Import/Export Oracle 7.3.4 NT

From: <ngeelow_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:48:11 GMT

Subject: Import/Export Oracle 7.3.4 NT

Has anyone done export/import as a backup recovery with Oracle 7.3.4 on NT 4.0? I am
having some problem.

When I export a database from NT Oracle server #1 and import to a different NT server
#2 with a new install of Oracle with the standard starter database I have no problem.

The problem starts when I tried to import again to NT server #2 to the same instance
which already has a previous import. To do this I followed the procedure set out in the
Oracle documentation.

  1. Shut down Oracle service.
  2. Delete the 10 files, sys1orcl.ora, usr1orcl.ora, rbs1orcl.ora, tmp1orcl.ora, log1orcl.ora, log2orcl.ora, log3orcl.ora, log4orcl.ora, ctl1orcl.ora, ctl2orcl.ora.
  3. Start Oracel service.
  4. At command prompt enter "set oracle_sid=orcl" followed by "set local=2:orcl".
  5. Start svrmgr23 and "connect internal/password".
  6. At svrmgr> "startup nomount pfile=c:\orant\database\initorcl.ora"
  7. At svrmgr> run the following sql: (db_name = oracle in the initorcl.ora file) create database oracle logfile 'c:\orant\database\log1orcl.ora' size 1M,
    'c:\orant\database\log2orcl.ora' size 1M,
    'c:\orant\database\log3orcl.ora' size 1M,
    'c:\orant\database\log4orcl.ora' size 1M
    maxdatafiles 100 datafile 'c:\orant\database\sys1orcl.ora' size 20M noarchivelog character set WE8ISO8859P1;
  8. At svrmgr> @c:\orant\rdbms73\admin\catalog.sql
  9. At svrmgr> @c:\orant\rdbms73\admin\catproc.sql
  10. At svrmgr>exit
  11. Import.

I have gone through these 2 or 3 times and got all kind of problems mainly with step 11,
the import. Step 1 to step 10 went with no problem, just some warning message which
according to Oracle documentation is OK. By the way I used the GUI data manager
instead of command line. I did a full database import and it left out the most important
user data. I got a lot of operation system error messages. I then did a partial import again
with just the user data and it won't let me. I had to use the GUI security manager to set up
the user and import again and this time it let me but it did not import all the tables, just
may be 10 of the full 54 tables. This is really strange.

Question: Will it make a difference (better?) if I import to the same NT server (that is #1
to #1) where the export is from?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 20 1999 - 18:48:11 CDT