Re: Is it possible to include external programs into Oracle processes ??

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:02:56 GMT

In article <7pjbu2$b7v_at_TGZ3>,
  "Michael Keppler" <Michael.Keppler_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody !
>
> After figuring out that a Oracle compressed dump file can be
compressed
> to less than 20 percent of its size by external compression software I
> got the idea of including external software into Oracle processes.
> Is this possible in general ? And if yes, can I only run external
> programs by calling them like in a shell or can I include them for
> instance like a filter process in a byte stream produced by Oracle??
>
> We are running 8.0.5 on NT.
>
> Ciao and Thank You, Michael.
>
> --
> Michael.Keppler_at_bigfoot.com

If you mean something like having the Oracle exp ultility use your compress utility while it is running the answer is no, but you can in UNIX export into a pipe and run a compress on the pipe while the exp is running.

Oracle 8 provides a means to call external procedures from pl/sql code so you integrate external modules into your processes like they were pl/sql stored routines. But this is not the same as adding a routine at a predefined exit like IBM IMS provides.

Some of the Oracle tools like Forms provided exits for linking in external code with earlier versions. I am not sure about the newest versions.

Oracle data cartridge (optional) combines foreign code into the database. You could look into this.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 20 1999 - 10:02:56 CDT