Re: TNS still can't resolve service name

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:41:35 GMT

Kev,

I use Oracle 8.1.5 on NT sp5. Here is what I do for TNS connection problems:

  1. Find out the IP address of the server
  2. PING it from the client PC
  3. TNSPING it from the client PC
  4. Change "host" in tnsnames.ora to the IP address of the server as needed
  5. Test with SQL*Plus
  6. Adjust the "SID" in in tnsnames.ora as needed.

In every case, some mixture of the 6 steps above has solved the connection problems.

Servers that have had prior versions of Oracle and / or OEM on them will have multiple tnsnames.ora files, so edit the right one !

Rock.

In article <37BD369D.C4C64C1A_at_fast.no>,   kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no> wrote:
> Forgot to append this sqlnet.log extract which may give someone a
clue:

> " VERSION INFORMATION:
> TNS for Linux: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
> TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for Linux: Version 8.0.5.0.0 -
Production

> Time: 19-AUG-99 16:01:49
> Tracing not turned on.
> Tns error struct:
> nr err code: 12204
> TNS-12204: TNS:received data refused from an application
> ns main err code: 12564
> TNS-12564: TNS:connection refused
> ns secondary err code: 0
> nt main err code: 0
> nt secondary err code: 0
> nt OS err code: 0"
>
> Incidentally, I forgot to mention that my PHP pages can connect to
the DB
> with no complaints from the listener.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Kev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 20 1999 - 09:41:35 CDT