Re: Replication from Sybase Anywhere into Oracle7

From: Remco Moolenaar <remco_at_scc.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:36:11 +0200

Ståle Oddsen wrote:

> I need to set up a replication from a sybase sql anywhere6 database into
> a oracle7.3.4 db.
>
> Anyone got a good idea on how to go about this?..

I had to find this out myself for Oracle <-> MS-SQL. You have several options:

- Snapshots  --> simple, but resource demanding
- Synchronous replication (2-phase commit)  --> simple, but dependent of server availability
- Asynchronous replication --> difficult, but network configuration independant

If you need one-way replication (master/slave relation between servers) then you can probably use snapshots. This, of course, depends on the amount of data that has to be replicated. As you noted in your post, a firewall is in between the servers. This will probably give the second solution a lower score, because in a two-phase commit situation you need to be absolutely sure that both servers are up and running. Otherwise, a simple transaction will fail. As both servers are from different suppliers, an asynchronous replication schema is only applicable if third-party software is available to implement this. The advantage of this schema is that it is independent of the availability of one of the servers, as transactions are transported at a regular interval to the other server. If the server is down, the transport is delayed and restarted at a later date. Look for third-party software at:

http://www-internal.amdahl.com/doc/products/storage/gis/xmm002605.html

http://www.datamirror.com/products/

http://www.praxisint.com/dsor.html

If those products are too expensive, you can probably implement your own trigger-schema, when the number of tables is not too big.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

Remco Moolenaar

--

Remco Moolenaar                                   mailto:remco_at_scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/

Amsterdam, The Netherlands Received on Fri Aug 20 1999 - 01:36:11 CDT