Re: HOWTO: Recover database from tablespace files?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:44:36 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:30:25 -0400, "Randy Baker" <rsbakerZ_at_email.msn.com> wrote:

>Is is possible to recover a database in Oracle from the tablespace files
>alone? I have a customer who had to reinstall NT and then reinstalled Oracle
>7.3.4 over the previous installation.

If you have the datafiles (what you call tablespace files), the redo log files, and the control files, then you havn't lost the database. Back these up before you do *anything* else. Try to find the initialization file, and back that up too. Then reinstall the same version of Oracle that you were running before. Try restarting the database. You really need an experienced DBA onsite to help with this, because one mistake could wipe you out. If your client has support (i.e. a CSI number), you might want to call on this and get some help. If you have other questions, post them. Email me if you like, and i'll try to help out.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 22:44:36 CDT