Some dB hardware questions...

From: <huydat_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:43:16 GMT

     I'm a developer for a new start-up internet portal (like there aren't enough of them out there already). We are planning to purchase some hardware to host our database. This dB server will back all of our offered services and will be accessed quite frequently. We'll be running Linux/Unix/Solaris with the Oracle dB. I basically have 3 questions:

  1. What options are there? (HP, SUN, IBM,...etc)
  2. Is there a difference between having one huge server or a handful of smaller servers connected to each other.
  3. What would the aproximate price of this hardware setup be?

     I know the information I'm giving is vague, but I just need a starting point in my research. ANY ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-tom-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 16:43:16 CDT