Re: ORA-12500 TNS listener failded to start a dedicated server proces

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:31:37 -0400

Is 'orcl' the name of the Database you are trying to connect to ?

Check in U'r $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora and listener.ora if everything is fine ( Check if Listener is listening to the Correct Database,ORACLE_HOME and ports are set Ok) Do a lsnrctl status <Listener_name> and check to see if the Database is listed in it's Services..
I hope you have installed the TCP/IP Protocol adapters for Net8...check this with
$adapters

Ps: It is preferable to start the Listener first and then the Database..especially if MTS is configured...

-Thiru