Re: Plan_table Columns

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:13:18 +0100

Cost is a 'meaningless number' measure
of the cost of that step of the query.

Cardinality is the number of rows that
will be returned in that step of the query

Bytes is Cardinality x average row length for that step of the query - useful to the optimizer when the next stage could be a sort.

The position relates to the fact that each row may have several child rows - the position gives you the order in which child rows should appear for each parent. It's actually redundant since the ID column dictates the order of all the rows, nevertheless is gives a nice warm glow when the ID and the
POSITION columns are consistent with
each other.

Try the Oracle Reference Manual, chapter 2, ca. page 114

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk