Difference Between SYS and SYSTEM

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:44:55 -0500

This may be an obvious question, but what is the difference between the SYS and SYSTEM users in an Oracle database?

I am aware that SYS owns the data dictionary, but it is only able to read the base tables. (Oracle 8i Concepts: 2-2) It makes me wonder what "ownership" of these objects means, if it cannot change them?

I also read (Oracle 8i Concepts 2-4) that you can "add new tables or views to the data dictionary" but this should be done only with the user SYSTEM. What does it mean to "add new tables to the data dictionary"? Is any table created with SYS or SYSTEM a data dictionary table, or is there something special about these tables?

Frank Hubeny
Wheaton, IL Received on Wed Aug 18 1999 - 23:44:55 CDT